In my ever-expanding books made into a movie series, and my continued plan to make my blog a bit more usable for people, and break that ridiculously long list down into grade levels, I now present to you 6th-grade books made into movies.
(there are of course so many affiliate links in here)
Funny story, I usually go to the library and check out all the books and DVDs to get pictures, however over half of the books are checked out right now, so I’ll hopefully be able to add that in later.
6th-grade books made into movies list one
I am breaking this down into how I have them organized on the Books Made Into Movies bookmarks (get a coupon to get this free when you join my newsletter!).
- Old Yeller movie [Old Yeller book club]- for some reason I read this book several times as a child, and then I read the sequel which is the exact same story but with the younger brother
- Treasure Island movie Muppet movie [Treasure Island book club]- I highly recommend reading this adventure book if you haven’t
- Bridge to Terabithia movie [Bridge to Terabithia book club]- this book will make you cry, BUT it’s a great book about kids dealing with grief
- Percy Jackson– the movie made me so mad I’m not even going to link to it [Percy Jackson book club]- but so many kids got into mythology because of this series, but we do not admit to the existence of the Apollo series because it sucks
- Redwall movie [Redwall book club]- I was surprised my kids did not really have any strong feelings for the series.
- Wind in the Willows claymation movie (my kids did not like this version) Disney movie (Wind in the Willows book club and movie night)- this was definitely a wild ride, did you see what I did there?
- Secret Garden movie (or get the double feature with Little Princess) BBC version (Secret Garden book club and movie night)- I read this book so often as a young child
- To Kill a Mockingbird movie (To Kill a Mockingbird book club)- I highly recommend reading this with your kids to look at how racism has been handled through the decades
- The Borrowers I love this book and read it to my kids before we started doing book and a movie, sadly they do not love it movie
- Coraline movie – at some point I should read this, but when the movie came out the ads for it creeped me out, the button eyes, [shudder] creepy
Don’t care about reading a book and a movie? Then you need great middle school books for boys.
6th grade Books list 2
- Jungle Book– I love both the animated movie and the live action that just came out [Jungle Book Book Club]- I checked this book out from the library so many times as a young kid
- Peter Pan– I personally own about 5 copies of this book and the cartoon, and live action movie, oh and the musical [Peter Pan book club]- I also have several “sequel” or “prequel” books
- Where the Red Fern Grows movie– I refused to read this one, and I recently had a fellow homeschool mom tell me I really should despite the dog dieing
- Black Stallion– I read the entire series as a kid, and it made for a decent movie [Black Stallion book club]
- The Dark is Rising movie [The Dark is Rising book club] -technically this movie is from the second book in the series, also I moved this down from 7th grade to 6th grade, I’d also say this movie is terrible, absolutely terrible
- Pictures of Hollis Woods movie [Picture of Hollis Woods book club]- I had a friend who made this post for me
- Wonder movie– This is on my to read list someday
- Harry Potter– I love this book series, and we also had a Harry Potter movie marathon one year (Harry Potter book club)
- Wizard of Oz Wizard of Oz (Wizard of Oz book club)- another classic series I read all of, slowly tracking them down in used bookstores, they may still be upstairs
- My Side of the Mountain– my kids love this book, but the movie…… [My Side of the Mountain book club]- I do not recommend reading the sequels though, they are not as good
I just realized this image is out of date, because I moved the Maze Runner books up a grade or two.
And this last set of 6th-grade books made into movies
- School for Good and Evil Netflix movie- apparently my library only has ebook copies of this, which seems fitting since it is a Netflix movie
- Freaky Friday movie “Modern” remake– I vaguely remember reading this book in middle school and being amused by it
- Wingfeather Saga Angel Studios movie – We read this as a book quest on Lorehaven Discord.
- White Bird: a Wonder Story movie- looks like this got moved back to May 2023
- Chaos Walking movie – my sister in law was so excited for this movie, and then so disappointed with how it came out
- Watsons go to Birmingham movie– I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book, and will read it someday
- Cheaper by the Dozen movie “modern” remake– I was amused to see the book is nonfiction in my library
- Artemis Fowl the abomination of a movie is over on Disney+ [Artemis Fowl book club]- I highly recommend the books, the movie…
And that is all of the 6th-grade books made into movies. Or at least that I can find as of 2023.