A few years ago I started making lists of books made into movies. Then I broke down into books made into movies by grade level, and ended up with almost two hundred, yes that’s TWOOOOO HUNDRED. Fast forward a few years and I’ve noticed Hollywood is coming out with about 10 books made into a movie a year at a minimum. Some years it’s even up to 20 or 30. I added a few more to the list and it became insane, so I started to split it into just high school books made into movies, but that list by the time I was done had about 200 books. Finally, I ended up with 9th-grade books made into movies.
A few caveats on this list:
- I will not include any books that condone abuse to my mind, so no 50 Shades of Gray, and I do include Twilight in that list because that relationship was not healthy and I don’t want my daughter thinking that’s a relationship to aspire to.
- I have not read all of these books, so inclusion is not endorsing the book. As a matter of fact, I’ve included some books I downright hate, and some books I completely disagree with because I know I’m not the final call on the value of a book, also it can be good from time to time to read books you disagree with.
- This list is still not exhaustive. I did exclude a few book and a movie combos that were not abusive, but I wasn’t sure what you would discuss with it. The point of these is to launch a discussion.
- I tried to only include movies you can easily find at Amazon, Netflix, or other places. That means the 2 million Cozy Murder Mystery books made into Hallmark movies were not included.
Finally, if you want to move beyond the 9th Grade books made into movies, then you should check out My Books Made Into Movies Bookmarks. You can get them for free with a coupon if you join my Newsletter, or just buy it.
Oops, one last thing, as a quick note, I’m trying to split out books by different authors, different writing styles, and you as the parent or teacher will know your individual student and when they can read the books. So I have books written down for 9th grade my kids won’t be reading until their senior year (not for maturity reasons but because of how I split things up). By the same token I have books theoretically planned for their senior year I put down on the freshman list.
9th Grade Books Made Into Movies, list 1
I split the 40 9th-grade books I’ve put together into 4 different lists of 10. Each of the lists by itself may not be balanced, but as a whole, they are somewhat balanced.
Hi, Future Ticia 2023 here, I’ve added another 10 books onto this list so it has 50 books, and I rearranged the book order on the bookmarks, so now I’m going to rearrange this whole insanely long list. Why am I doing this, am I insane?
Yes, yes I am, but I think this will make it easier in the long term.
- Life of Pi (movie)
- Gulliver’s Travels (movie)- there’s a bunch of movies
- The Fault in Our Stars (movie)
- Sense and Sensibility (movie)- Jane Austen by itself could be a fascinating course of study with her many books and the adaptations and the many new versions>> we are reading this Freshman year, check out our 9th Grade Curriculum Picks
- Great Expectations (movie)- This book turned me off of Dickens, I truly loathe it. We will never read it.
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (movie)- we read this in August of Freshman year (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy book club)
- Scarlet Letter (movie)
- Jurassic Park (movie)- we are reading this Senior year
- Animal Farm (movie)- reading this in 10th gradeLet’s talk 10th grade curriculum! to go with Modern History and Russian Revolution, I read this as a freshman in high school, so that’s why it’s here (we did read it in 10th grade, here’s the Animal Farm book club)
- Call of the Wild (movie)
9th Grade Books Made Into Movies, list 2
- Three Musketeers (loyal to the book movie and the bad Disney movie I admit to liking) read during 7th grade summer by Superman [Three Musketeers Movie Night Post]
- War of the Worlds (movie)- My son picked this as one of his summer movies after 8th grade (War of the Worlds book club)
- The Outsiders (movie)
- Sherlock Holmes (movie) We read this during 8th grade [Sherlock Holmes Movie Night Post]
- Forest Gump (movie)- book looks to be renamed Forest Gump, nope that was a sequel, also I’ve been warned the book is fairly sexual explicit, unlike the movie
- Seabiscuit (movie)- we are reading this Sophomore year to coincide with Modern history, perfect for Great Depression
- The Help (movie)
- I, Robot (movie)
- Beastly (movie)- confession I love Beauty and the Beast adaptations
- Julie and Julia (movie)- back when the movie came out I joined a bunch of other bloggers in cooking through the Food Network chef recipes as inspired by this movie, most of the recipes on my blog are from that
9th-Grade books made into movies list 3
This list is pretty much composed of books I haven’t read, but some I’m very intrigued by.
- Austenland (movie)- this looks really fun, and I love Shannon Hale (we now have an Austenland book club)
- Maltese Falcon (movie)
- Storm Breaker (movie)- hmph, this was not what I thought, and it looks a bit silly…
- King’s Speech (movie)- my speech therapy friend LOVES this movie
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (movie)
- Water for Elephants (movie)- the movie cover is VERY different from the book cover
- The Martian (movie)
- Rebecca (movie)
- Time Traveler’s Wife (movie)
- The Body (Stand by Me movie)
9th Grade books made into movies list 4
My original pinnable image, I’ve moved some of these books to other points in high school…
This list is mostly composed of movies I didn’t know were books until after I’d done the research for this list.
- Goldfinch (movie)- this is coming out 2019,
has it already come out, I should check on that it’s in theaters now, now available to get
- Master and Commander (movie)
- First Man: the Life of Neil A. Armstrong (movie)
- Tarzan (movie or the Disney cartoon which I quite like)
- The Hate U Give (movie)- when we read Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird last year we thought this would be a good folow on, but a lot of tough topics to deal with all at once
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (sign up for Netflix)- sometimes you need a light book to read
- American Gods (movie)- this is on my to-read list someday, as a warning, the “movie” is an Amazon Prime series, so it may have quite a bit of violence and nudity
- The Beguiled (movie)
- Finest Hours (movie)- my husband LOVES this movie
A Great and Terrible Beauty (movie)– as I made this list I found this book, it sounds interesting, waaahhh, the movie fell through
- My Sister’s Keeper (movie)- this looks interesting, but man talk about an emotionally draining topic
Getting off the topic of movies…..
One last thing, I do have a Homeschooling with Movies Pinterest board.
- Homeschooling High School By Design
- Science Lab Intensives
- 9th Grade Homeschool Pick
- 42 Electronics, high school electronic engineering
- Ancient Sumeria Books
9th-grade books made into movies list 5
Full honesty as Future Ticia 2023 was updating this list I did a lot of moving books around and some of these books I initially put for older kids, but I wanted to have a list of 50, so clearly you should decide how you want to do it.
- John Carter of Mars (movie)- Jeff had opinions of this movie
- The Man Who Invented Christmas (movie)- I love this movie and just discovered it’s a book!
- The Midwich Cuckoos (Village of the Damned)
- Shoeless Joe (Field of Dreams)
- Eat, Pray, Love (movie)
- The Trial by Kafka (movie)
- Wayward Pines (movie)
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok (movie)- I remember reading this in high school and the movie added this weird Zionist sub-plot with gun running or something, I was very confused when we watched it in class
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower (movie)- I originally had this in middle school, but as I learned more about the content I thought it might be better in high school
- The Witcher (Netflix series)- obviously with this being a Netflix original there is a lot of added nudity, keep that in mind when deciding what you want to do