Joshua, Judges, and Ruth activities for kids
These first three books of Biblical history establish many of the patterns that continue through the rest of the Bible. They also give us great lessons to teach our kids more about God’s love for his people.
- Joshua and the Battle of Jericho– God will follow through on His plan, and He will overcome all obstacles. Joshua sees a powerful example of how God will fight the battle for you.
- Joshua Continues the Fight– God blesses you when you obey Him. Joshua discovers that it is not his strength that wins Israel’s battles, but God’s.
- Cycle of Apostasy– After Joshua died the Israelites had the possibility of following God, OR of following what they wanted to do. Sadly the Israelites chose to follow what they wanted to do, and this led to many problems for them.
- Israel taking the land of Canaan– See the consequences of Israel not obeying God when He gave them clear instructions
- Othneil, Ehud, and Shamgar (the first 3 Judges of Israel)
- God gave us an example of how Judges should behave and get things done with the first three Judges, and shows us He can use unlikely heroes.
- God continues to show us how He uses unlikely heroes when He chooses a woman to judge Israel and to show the general what to do.
- Gideon– The hero who didn’t want to be a hero. Gideon shows us that even the smallest and most unimportant person can become a hero.
- Samson– The hero with great potential who didn’t reach it. Samson shows us God uses even those who are not following Him.
- Ruth– Ruth shows us God’s hidden hand of providence, and how God cares for and loves even the least important person.
Resources I suggest for Joshua, Judges, and Ruth
- Josh and the Big Wall
- Buck Denver Asks: What’s in the Bible? Volume Four – Battle for the Promised Land
- Veggie Tales: Gideon Tuba Warrior
- The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name [Hardcover]
- The Bible: The Epic Miniseries
- ShatterPoint Jericho Set
- VeggieTales – Duke and the Great Pie War