So last year as I was getting ready for our Navajo mission trip I had to make 30 Bible costumes in a week, so I came up with this no-sew Bible costume, which I’ve since used several times in my Sunday School class for skits.
I was originally planning on waiting to share this until spring when people are preparing for VBS, but you’re about to see these a lot as we work our way through the parables, so here comes the No Sew Bible Costume.
Supplies for No Sew Bible Costume
2 yards of cheap cotton fabric (I went to Wal-Mart and would buy anything that was $2 or less a yard); X-Large men’s t-shirt (I went to Salvation Army on half-price Wednesday and bought any shirt that was $1 or less); rope, 1/4 yard of fake fur, 1/4 inch ribbon or yarn*
*future Ticia 2023 recognizes I don’t know that I would be able to find them at this price now
How to make the No Sew Bible Costume
Because I was originally making these under a deadline I didn’t really take pictures at the time, so I borrowed Princess’ 18-inch doll for a model and made a mini-costume, so all of these pictures are of the mini-no sew Bible costume.
1. Cut the 2 yards of fabric on the fold. Side note, this fabric was dyed using leftover Easter egg dye, isn’t it cool looking?
2. Fold your two new pieces in half, so they are 1 yard long. Then fold each of them in half again.
3. At the fold cut a small snip, and then continue cutting along the fold for about 6 inches.
4. Then cut down on one side about 3 inches or so.
5. Try it on to see if it goes over the head, if not cut your “T-shape” a little bigger.
6. Put the costume over your head, and then tie a rope around your waist. This is the simple no sew Bible costume.
Are you ready for the advanced no-sew Bible costume?
1. Fold the extra large man’s t-shirt in half. I had to sew a really quick shirt out of some scraps to demonstrate this, that’s why there are all the wonky seams because I just did rough approximations.
2. Cut down the front of the t-shirt in the middle. Now put it on over the “tunic” and tie your rope belt over the top of it all.
Easy variations: long-sleeved shirt, strip of fabric for a belt, patterned fabric, or use extra fabric for a head scarf and tie a rope around your forehead to keep the fabric on.
No sew Bible costume beard
1. Take your fake fur and fold it over about 5 inches or so. Then cut out half of an oval.
2. Cut a smaller half of an oval out of the half you cut.
3. Cut two small slits on either side and tie the string around it.
4. You can either just hook the ribbon or string around your head as you wear it, or tie it behind your head to keep it in place more securely.
And there you go, from start to finish you’ve made two no-sew Bible costumes in about 10 minutes (including sewing the mini shirt for my example).