I’ve spent a few years teaching Bible lessons to kids. Every year as the new kids came into our class, and as a reminder for the kids still there from the year before, we worked on how to memorize the books of the Bible. Actually, let me be more accurate, we worked on finding things in the Bible.
What we’ve done to memorize the books of the Bible
My goal with my students wasn’t to memorize the books of the Bible, my goal was to be able to find the books of the Bible.
We started with how we got the Bible, which explains the different types of books in the Bible. It’s a great way to learn a little more about the books of the Bible. This is actually the first lesson in our two year Bible curriculum.
Next for the first three months, we worked on looking up books of the Bible and Bible verses. That’s where the Books of the Bible cards came into play. You can buy them in my store, OR if you join my newsletter over on the side you’ll get a coupon code in your third email from me.
A few years ago, I was in charge of teaching Bible skills and I created a Books of the Bible card game, which we used with our elementary kids.
I’m working on some more ideas to memorize the books of the Bible, but in the meantime, here are:
5 more random Bible ideas
- How to have a consistent Bible study for Kids
- Teach kids how to pray
- Moses Unit
- Bible Memes
- Skittles prayers
10 Ideas to Memorize Books of the Bible
These are all drawn from my Bible Pinterest board, which I’ve now spent way too long attempting to organize the over 1000 pins on that board, so lots of ideas to teach the Bible, everything from how to memorize the books of the Bible to deep theology lessons, and everything in between. It’s my junk drawer of Bible boards.
But, there are still more ideas on memorizing the books of the Bible, these are just my 10 favorites.
- Build a Books of the Bible Bookcase or if you’re Catholic, here’s a Catholic Books of the Bible Bookcase. I’ve been brainstorming some ways to make my own version of this, because I love the idea so much.
- Books of the Bible fishing game– this just looks fun
- Books of the Bible pocket chart– Great for kids who need the tactile of moving stuff around
- Books of the Bible lapbook– for the cut-and-paste kids
- Books of the Bible card game– I love card games
- Books of the Bible active game– great for squirmy kids
- Stacking books of the Bible– the site the idea is on is for sale, so I’ve linked to my pin
- Write the books of the Bible– if you have an artsy kid, this is for you
- Memorize the Books of the Bible printable– printables are popular
- Books of the Bible bookmark– because it’s a classic
There you go, these are my 10 favorites from my board, and there are about 10-15 more in that category right now. I’ve gone in and deleted those that aren’t functional and were duplicate ideas, so very very sad to see cool ideas gone.